Oranges With Star Anise Thai-Style
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Bon Appètit August 1996. Easy!
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unbleached white sugar
- 3 whole star anise pods
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water
- 6 large oranges
- fresh mint sprig (NOT dried mint)
- Combine the water, sugar and star anise pods in a medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer the liquid until it is reduced to a generous 1 cup. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the orange blossom flower water. Remove star anise and set aside.
- Cover liquid and chill until cold.
- Use a sharp knife and cut off the orange peel and white pith.
- Slice oranges crosswise into 1/3" rounds. Set the oranges slices on a platter and pour the syrup over them.
- Garnish with the fresh mint. (If desired, garnish the fruit with the star anise that was set aside).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is really delicious and slightly fancy, pretty with the mint spring on top. DH ate this! DD (toddler) liked the syrup but ate her share of oranges when I was slicing them up. I did not add the star anise on top for one thing the ones I used were broken but also since they are hard I didn't think it would be a good idea. (I know they are not meant to eat) I may make this again. Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.1Reply