Orange and Almond Cake (Gluten Free)
- Ready In:
- 1 orange (large)
- 4 -5 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 300 g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- caster sugar (for dusting)
- icing sugar (for dusting after baking)
- butter (or oil spray for greasing pan.)
- Place orange (unpeeled)in boiling water for 2 hours.Remove and allow to cool.This can be done ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Break eggs into a blender.add caster sugar and blend together.
- Cut up orange (unpeeled) and place into egg mix,and blend together to a smooth consistency.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and blend.
- Grease baking pan and dust with caster sugar.
- Pour batter into the pan and sprinkle caster sugar on top and bake for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.(you can also have it with cream).
Join The Conversation
Great cake. Very easy to make with no fuss. Also liked that this recipe didn't have any butter or oil added. I used 1 1/2 oranges as I couldn't get large ones and 4 large eggs. This cake doesn't rise much during cooking. I used a round 20cm tin, but I think you could use any size- even muffin or friand tins for individual serves (perhaps just adjust cooking time to suit). Photo also to be posted. Made for Pick A Chef (PAC)event held in the Contests and Events Forum<br/>1 Nov 2011- updating my review to say that I made this recipe into cupcakes- made 12 cupcakes nicely. Baked for about 30 mins and then when cooled I iced them with rich chocolate frosting to make them into jaffa cupcakes.