Open-Faced Dried Fig and Melted Cheese Sandwiches
- Ready In:
- Combine the figs and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until almost all of the water has been absorbed; cool slightly.
- Transfer the figs to the container of a food processor; process until chunky smooth.
- Transfer the "jam" to a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Spread one side of the bread with a thick layer of the fig jam.
- Use a sharp knife or a cheese plane to cut off thick slivers of cheese, and lay them on top of the jam.
- Place the sandwiches on a pan and heat under the broiler until the cheese is soft and bubbly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Cut into pieces and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!