Old World Honey Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups honey
- 1⁄2 cup coffee (strong brewed)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 ounces slivered almonds, for topping
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they turn light, approximately five minutes.
- Then beat in the oil, honey, and coffee to the egg mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients, and add them to the egg mixture with stirring, along with the almonds and raisins.
- Oil 2 9-inch loaf pans line the bottom with wax paper, then oil again.
- Fill each pan until approximately 1" from the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 65-75 minutes, or until the cakes test done.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Coat with glaze.
- Directions: Boil liquid ingredients until thick watch carefully honey will burn. Remove from heat, and pour over cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /> <br />recipe#129579 by txzuckerbaeckerin started it all! I was so touched by the responses to my inquiries on Recipezaar. If it wasn't for the fact I lost my favourite cheesecake recipe and was determined to find one similar or the same I would not have found Reipezaar so I just have to tell my story. I had lost this recipe in moving and I bought several baking books and searched the web for months in my desperate search. Extremely late one night I found Recipezaar and posted my lost recipe as best as I could remember. The next day in the forum there it was posted the one and only lost cheesecake recipe. I knew it was the one from some of the ingredients. Several chefs gave me other recipes including New York Cheesecake by Tyler Florence which is wonderful as well which includes the Cherry Confit topping in the recipe which we adore. On September 19, 2006 this story had a happy ending with me finding my old cheesecake recipe. I thought I will never lose it again by posting it on Recipezaar.recipe #186938.That is why I'm hooked on this wonderful web site called Food! </p>