Old Fashioned Sugar Pie
- Ready In:
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a microwavable bowl and stir in the milk.
- Microwave for 9 minutes, stopping to stir every 3 minutes.
- The object is to cook until it achieves a thick, pudding-like consistency, so it may take more or less time dependent upon the individual microwave.
- This can also be performed in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Add the butter and vanilla into the mixture.
- Pour the thick mixture into the baked 8 inch pie shell and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my! This is so yummy! This brought back memories of childhood for me. I've made this twice now, once in the microwave (VERY fast in mine) and once on the stove. I liked the stove method better. I can't pin it but I think the pie was smoother tasting, if that makes sense! Sprinkled some cinnamon on the top and it was SO yummy. Thanks for the greatest recipe, Mercy!
What a wonderful pie!!!! I cooked the sugar mixture on the stovetop (I just feel I have more control that way). It turned out perfect. What a great recipe when you need to come up with a quick desert. I just love down-home recipes that have been pass on from generation to generation. Thanks so much for sharing this, Mercy. I will be making it over and over again.