Old Fashioned Date Nut Bars
A little different from other recipes I've seen here, because the nuts are in the crust and there's the addition of lemon. They sound great. Wish I knew where the recipe came from! Read all the way through--notes at the end are from the original author.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts, ground
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 cups dates, cut fine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Combine filling ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer a few minutes till thickened. Set aside and let cool.
- For the base, sift together dry ingredients.
- Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, and dry ingredients and walnuts. Add lemon juice and zest to moisten.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and up the sides.
- Spread cooled filling over crust.
- Combine filling ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle on top and bake at 375 F for 35-40 minute.
- Original recipe calls for the bars to be baked on a cookie sheet pan. We like them thicker, so I put them in a 9 X 13 cake pan.
- Cool and cut unto bars.
- To serve sprinkle liberally with 10X sugar.