Okinawa Deep-Fried Pork Ears (Mimigar Karaage)
photo by Pearl Ishizaki
- Ready In:
- 100 g shredded pork, ears (pre-boiled)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon awamori
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup oil (deep frying)
- 50 g red cabbage
- Bring water in a pot to boil. Once the water boils, put the pork ears in the pot then boil it for a minute. Take the pork ears from the boiling water and use a strainer to drain.
- Grate about a teaspoon of ginger then squeeze it to get the juice. You will need about 1/4 teaspoon of ginger juice.
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger juice, awamori, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil then mix well until well combined.
- In a large bowl, toss the pork ears and the seasoning mixture. Mix to combine well then marinate for 15 minutes.
- After marinating, place the pork ears in a strainer to remove excess liquid. While waiting for the ears to drain, you can shred the red cabbage.
- After draining the pork ears, put it back in a bowl and add cornstarch then mix to coat the pork ears.
- Heat oil in a pan until it reaches 170 degrees Celsius. Your oil reached the desired deep frying temperature when it starts to bubble almost immediately when you try to dip the end of a chopstick on the oil. Once it reaches the desired temperature, reduce the heat to low.
- Carefully put the coated pork ears into the oil then fry until the color becomes golden brown.
- Once the color changes, increase the heat to high then fry until the pork ears become crispy. Remove the pork ears then drain the excess oil.
- Serve the deep fried pork ears with the shredded cabbage.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I'm a YouTuber home chef from the Philippines now based in Japan. I love to share the recipes I've learned from my travels around Japan. Please enjoy my recipes.