Oatmeal Snack Bars
A perfect after school snack or lunch box sweet! Recipe from Mr. Food.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup butter (may substitute margarine)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or old fashioned)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (may substitute chocolate chips or butterscotch chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter and syrup over low heat on stovetop or in microwave.
- In a large bowl, combine butter mixture, baking soda, and allspice; mix well and let cool.
- Add rolled oats, flour, sugar, and chocolate chips or raisins, if desired; mix well. Press dough into baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes. Immediately cut into bars; let cool completely then cut again.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This went together really quickly. I made for the kids for an after school snack. I followed the directions as written. Next time I will follow another's suggestion and cut back on the sugar as I found it almost too sweet. The boys seemed to enjoy it though. That's the important part! Made for the November 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.Reply
YUMMY! I made half the recipe as an after dinner treat today and they turned out so moist and tasty-lots of flavour from the oats, spices and raisins (I used the full amount here). I got six hand-shaped bars out of it and had to bake those a little longer than stated (maybe 25 minutes). Reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and that way they really just had a hint of sweetnes. I liked it a lot! Thanks so much for sharing, JB! Made for one of my teammates in Veg n Swap #8.Reply