Oatmeal Chocolate Toffee Squares
I make these for my Christmas cookie plate every year. I make an oatmeal crust to make me feel I making this healthy, but they are rich. These are so good. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. The recipe includes a 2 hr chilling time.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (6 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- Line a 9 x 13 metal cake pan with parchment or wax paper leaving about a inch over hang on each side for handles, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the oatmeal, flour and sugar.
- In a separate dish whisk the melted butter with the egg, then stir into oatmeal mixture until moistened.
- Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake of 12 - 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack.
- In a sauce pan melt together butter, sugar, condensed milk and corn syrup, over medium heat, stirring.
- Simmer stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 230°F (thread stage) about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Pour the toffee over the base crust and refrigerate for an hour(should be firm to touch).
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- In microwave or on the stove bring the cream to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate whisking until it is smooth.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool to room temperature and then pour over the toffee layer.
- Refrigerate until set ( about 1 hour).
- ***(If you are making this ahead you can cover this now and leave in the fridge for a week or over wrap with foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.).
- Once set use the paper handles to remove the bar to a cutting board.
- Peel the paper from the sides.
- Wiping knife between cuts, trim the edges and cut into 1 inch squares.