No Bake Deep Dish Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
1 Deep dish pie
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 (1 ounce) packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate with nonstick spray.
- To prepare the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, butter and sugar in a medium bowl until moist crumbs form. Transfer the crumb mixture to the pie plate and press evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the plate. Bake until the crust is fragrant and just set, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, combine the brown sugar, gelatin, cinnamon, allspice, salt and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the milk, pumpkin and eggs. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice cubes and water. Refrigerate the custard, covered, until the mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon, about 1 hour.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk the pumpkin mixture until smooth and creamy. Gently fold one-fourth of the whipped cream mixture into the pumpkin mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining whipped cream until just combined and no streaks of white remain. Spoon into the crust; spread evenly. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"