Navy Beans and Bacon Chowder
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried navy beans
- 2 cups cold water
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (46 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Soak beans in 2 cups of cold water for 8 hours or overnight.
- After beans have soaked, drain, and place in slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except milk, to slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on low 7-9 hours or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Place 2 cups cooked bean mixture into blender. Process until smooth. Return to slow cooker.
- Add milk. Cover and heat on high 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I came across this recipe as I did a search for "Navy Beans". I've had a package in my pantry for quite some time and decided it was finally time to use them. I'm so happy I found this recipe. It was easy to make and tasted great. I served it with some nice crusty bread. Even the kids enjoyed it. Must be the bacon :)