photo by eabeler
- Ready In:
- In sauce pan warm milk.
- In separate bowl beat egg yolks, add sugar, flour and salt.
- Temper mixture with about 1/2 to 1 c of warm milk.
- Add mixture to sauce pan and heat until boils and thickens.
- Add vanilla.
- Remove from heat.
- In large bowl beat egg whites until stiff, fold mixture into egg whites.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
- Place in fridge.
- Serve cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I grew up in New Mexico where Natillas is a traditional dessert. I have tried many recipes for natillas and this is the best. I downloaded this recipe a few years ago and have been making it ever since and getting rave reviews. Using one cup of sugar was great but the natillas were really sweet. I cut it back to 1/2 a cup and they still come out great. The tradition in my family was to top the natillas with the meringue rather than mixing part of into the custard. I add a little bit of sugar while beating the egg whites to sweeten them a little. Gosh! Just writing this review makes me want to go make some right away.