My Mom's American Chop Suey
My mom used to make this all the time. She gave me the recipe one night when I was trying to use up some hamburg. It is something quick to throw together.
- Ready In:
- 1 (1 lb) box elbow macaroni, cooked according to package
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Cook Elbows according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the hamburg, onion and garlic together until the hamburg is done.
- Drain off the fat, return to skillet and add in the can of tomatoes.
- Add the oregano and salt, bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- After 30 minutes, add the elbows to the hamburg mixture and stir to coat.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I rating this b/c I really thought this wasn't a real dish - O thought it was some bizarre concoction my mom used to make when she didn't feel like making spaghetti sauce! My mom still makes this all the time (weekly for her daycare!) - My daughter just loves to have this at grammie's house, personally I never liked it - and don't see the point - just open a jar of sauce!! :) Anyway - I think the only difference is my mom adds a can of tomato sauce or tomato soup or paste - depending on what she has on hand. Thanks for posting, so now I can say my mom isn't nuts!! (well at least when it comes to this dish!)Reply
see 1 more