Mushroom & Smoked Mozzarella Lasagna
photo by nusha.b
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced (optional)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 lbs mushrooms, cut in 1/4-in slices (use an assortment ( button, portobello, cremini, oyster, shiitake)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- nutmeg, fresly grated
- 1⁄2 lb smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 lb lasagna sheet, no-cook (I divide a 9 oz. box into 3 layers)
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, pancetta and onions and cook, stirring until the onion softens and starts to brown (about 4 mins). Add the mushrooms (pan will be crowded to start). Cook, stirring every 2 or 3 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their water. Add the white wine and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring, until almost all of the liquid had evaporated (about 8 mins). Add salt & pepper as needed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the milk and set aside. In a heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat, then stir in the flour. Stirring continuously, cook over medium heat for 2 ro 3 minutes untl the paste begins to thin out. Add the warm milk in a steady stream while whisking the mixture, to make bechamel sauce. Add nutmeg to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer about 10 minutes, strring every few minutes. The sauce should coat the back of a spoon, if it is too thick, add a little more milk. Remove from the heat and cover the surface with plastic wrap until assembling the lasagna to keep a skin from forming.
- In a separate bowl, combine the smoked and regular mozzarella. Using a 13x9-in pan, spoon a few tablespoons of the bechamel sauce over the bottom. Cover with a layer of lasagna sheets. Spread on half of the mushroom mixture, then a third of the bechamel, then a thrid of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers, ending with a final layer of lasagna sheets. Spread what remains of the bechamel evenly over the lasagna and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- At this point, the lasagna may be refrigerated and baked later. Bake covered at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake an addtional 15 minutes until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!