Multicolored Vienna Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the book 'The Gardens of Covington.'This is a multicolored cake,that a character in the novel always makes for special occasions.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, red,yellow,and green
- apricot jam or strawberry jam
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, slightly softened and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and lightly flour 3 round cake pans,lining bottoms with wax paper.
- In large bowl,cream butter until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar,beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes) Add eggs one at a time,beating well after each addition.
- Combine flours,baking powder in separate bowl,add to batter slowly,alternating with milk and vanilla,beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter into 3 small bowls,add food coloring (2-3 drops at most) green in one bowl,yellow,in another,red in third.
- Pour batters into separate prepared pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes,until cakes test done with toothpick.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread a thin layer of jam on top of first and second layer,followed by thin layer of frosting.
- Stack layers,frost top and sides of cake with cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: In medium bowl,with mixer on medium speed,beat cream cheese and butter until smooth,about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar and beat well until mixed and of spreading consistency.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION