- Ready In:
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon sugar (to garnish)
- 1 baked 9 inch single crust pie shell
- In small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Put milk into medium heavy-based saucepan, and whisk in egg and cornstarch mix.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly; 10-17 minutes.
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Reduce heat to low if necessary to prevent burning!
- After finished cooking, remove from heat and whisk in extracts.
- Cool to lukewarm and pour into baked pie crust.
- Refrigerate pie until set-- approximately 3-4 hours.
- Before you serve the milk pie, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a very tasty & creamy, rich dessert. The pie filling was truly delicious and deserves 5 stars for flavor. However, I had difficulty getting this to firm up as a pie- I suspect that the short cooking time is the culprit here-after the full 12 minutes, it was still very, very thin - it did not even coat the back of my spoon. So, I cooked my filling an additional 5 minutes, until it just started to coat the spoon - I was tempted to cook it even longer, but I was afraid to overcook it. It did firm up more on cooling, but never enough to slice into pie wedges, even after chilling overnight. Next time, I would continue cooking longer - until it has thickened up more. But this was really quite tasty as a custard and I will make this again, but perhpas just make the filling and put it into a glass bowl.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Since April 2008, I have been a vegetarian. I dont eat creatures...that's the easiest way to put it! :D I still eat a small amount of dairy, but not very much. I have been missing around here for a while, and hope to poke my head in a bit more often from now on... I hope you enjoy my recipes...