Marinara Sauce Aka "grandma's Sauce"
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 12 links italian sweet sausage or 12 meatballs
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup merlot (optional) or 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup sugar (optional)
- Brown sausage in separate pan.
- Garlic press the garlic (or mince) and brown in the olive oil in a large pot. When brown, add sliced onion and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoe paste to onion mixture and mix thoroughly. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and water and stir well.
- Finally, add sausage (and/or meatballs--see my other recipe) and bring to light boil.
- Once boiling, decrease heat to simmer and cover . Cook on simmer for 3-4 hours stirring occassionly.
- If you can't wait the full 3-4 hours add a dash of sugar and it equals about 1 hour of cooking time.
- Add red wine during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Suggestion: Serve over pasta with grated parmesan, salad, and bread -- .
Join The Conversation