Low-Fat Pasta E Fagioli (Italian Pasta & Bean Soup)
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb fresh fennel, tall stalks and leaves discarded and bulb cut into cubes (about half a small bulb)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked white beans (drained and rinsed) or 1 cup canned white beans, such as Great Northern, navy, or cannellini (drained and rinsed)
- 1⁄2 cup short tube-shaped pasta, such as ditalini or 1/2 cup tubetti
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional)
- Combine onion, carrots, celery, fennel, and garlic in a food processor and process until vegetables are finely chopped, about 15 seconds (or finely chop by hand).
- Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes, Stir in tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add beans and pasta and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender but firm (al dente), about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in basil and parsley. Garnish each serving with some cheese, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Flavorful and very fresh tasting. Definitely needed the fresh basil and parsley for taste and color. Family friendly with all the vegies so finely chopped--kids at it up (with French bread, of course.) Great weeknight meal. LOVED that it was so healthy and filling. Made it as is and will definitely make it again. Would have given it 4 1/2 stars if I could.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">