Pasta Sausage & Bean Ragout (Pasta Fazool or Pasta E Fagioli
photo by HocoRuco
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, in juice with Italian spices
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini, drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 1 cup orecchiette or 1 1/2 cups fresh gemelli pasta
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- additional grated pecorino romano cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic powder and sauté 6-10 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté until brown, breaking up large chunks with back of fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, beans, 1 cup basil, oregano, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Simmer/boil 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Add dried pasta and cook until tender but still firm to bite, about 15 more minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 1/3 cup cheese and remaining 1/2 cup basil.
- Season ragout with salt and pepper; ladle into bowls. Serve, passing additional cheese separately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!