Loaded Baked Potato Wontons
- Ready In:
- 2 quarts vegetable oil (for frying)
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 (4 ounce) bag instant mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Fill a large pot halfway up with oil and heat to 365 degrees F. Cook the bacon in a large skillet, over medium heat, until crispy on both sides, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer onto paper towels to drain, and then roughly chop.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes according to package directions and then stir in half of the bacon, 2 tablespoons chopped chives, and half of the cheese. Let cool to room temperature.
- To shape the wontons, work with one wrapper at a time. Add about a teaspoon or two of the potato mixture in the center. Brush the edges with egg wash and then seal and crimp into a triangle. Fold 2 points together, brush with egg and pinch to seal. Continue shaping until all the filling has been used.
- Once vegetable oil is hot, carefully add a few of the wontons at a time and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and continue frying the rest.
- To make the sauce, stir together the sour cream, garlic, salt, pepper and scallions. Set aside.
- Arrange the wontons onto a baking sheet, piling them up in the center. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bacon and bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes, just to melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining bacon and chives. Serve with scallion sour cream sauce on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!