Lickity Split Fried Rice
photo by JackieOhNo!
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 slices bacon, crisply cooked
- 4 cups leftover cooked rice, approximately
- soy sauce, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (although in '73 it would have been garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 egg, lightly fried, then chopped up
- In a large skillet or wok fry the bacon on medium heat until crispy.
- Set aside to cool and drain then cut up into little pieces. Save the bacon drippings.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the cooked rice to the pan and break up any lumps with a fork.
- Fry until the rice is browned, adding soy sauce and black pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the garlic and mixed vegetables. Reduce heat to medium and fry rice until the vegetables are brightly colored and heated through.
- Stir in the green onions and fry another minute.
- Remove from heat and add the crumbled bacon and chopped egg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
You certainly cannot beat this for simplicity! I made this exactly as posted, using tamari (dark soy sauce), which I kept sprinkling on until I felt the rice was about the shade I am used to seeing from Chinese take-out. This came together so quickly, and was a great way to use leftover white rice. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
What a fantastic fried rice recipe!!! I usually find most fried rice to be pretty bland if you don't add the sauce from the main entree. This was excellent all on it's own. I made 1/2 of the recipe, although still used all the bacon called for and I added a few shakes of liquid smoke and oyster sauce. I served it with grilled chicken quarters, salad and rolls. Thanks for sharing this great recipe Cookgirl!! Made for CQ 2014.