Lentil Soup With Ditalini (Aka, New Year's Soup)
photo by flappergirl425
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pancetta, chopped (or ham)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) box ditalini shaped pasta
- 1 -2 teaspoon parmesean cheese, grated
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- Sautee pancetta (or ham) in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes till it browns lightly.
- Add onion, celery and carrots, salt and pepper, and sautee till softened. Add garlic. Stir & continue cooking for a minute or two.
- Add lentils, herbs & salt and pepper, stir, and add about 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and partially cover, then lower heat to the lowest simmer possible. Allow to simmer quietly & peacefully for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook ditalini according to box directions until al dente. Drain.
- Add diced tomatoes to soup, stir and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta to soup.
- Ladel soup into bowls, drizzle a little olive oil over the top, sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper, and parmesean cheese. Eat it up with some crusty bread!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!