Lemongrass Soup (Vegetarian Tom Yum)
- Ready In:
- 10 -12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon better than bullion vegetable stock base
- 4 stalks lemongrass, smashed
- 2 inches ginger, sliced
- 12 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sun luck chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 -2 dash sriracha hot chili sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons coconut milk
- lime juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Clean and smash lemongrass stocks, then tie in a knot and boil with ginger in water (with veggie stock paste) for 30 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and ginger.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, garlic, garlic chili sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce, coconut milk, lime juice, and black pepper. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for better flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really had high hopes for this recipe as tom yum is one of my favorite Thai soups. I'm not a very creative cook, though, and follow recipes to the letter, and this one turned out bland and watery. I was able to make it palatable by adding a second tablespoon of both veggie stock base and oyster sauce and lots of extra lime juice. If anyone knows where I might have gone wrong, please, by all means point it out to me. Thanks.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Ever since I can remember I've enjoyed cooking. I would say that I am adventurous in the kitchen and like to try new dishes and ingredients. I am lucky to live in an area that promotes local farmers and local foods. One of my favorite seasons is summer because of all the farmers markets and u-pick farms. As my name suggests, I am a junkie to this site, it's been a great way to try new recipes and learn new things about cooking. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">