Sweet Potato and Lemongrass Soup
I found this recipe online in an article about a Philadelphia restaurant and tried it out at home. I wasn't overawed by it, but love the flavors, so I decided to play around with it a bit. By the third batch I had hit gold.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and minced, I freeze my gingeroot and then grate it on a Microplane, it's the best
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I just smash it with the broad side of a knife)
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 cups water (this makes a thick soup, use 7 cups if you like it thinner)
- 10 stalks lemongrass, outer dry leaves removed and bulblike base crushed (again, the broad side of a knife works wonderfully here)
- 7 ounces coconut milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In large, heavy soup pot, heat the oil medium-hot and saute the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, jalapeno and garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- Add the sweet potato and water. It should be just enough water to cover the sweet potatoes.
- Tie the lemongrass stalks together with string and put the bulb/base ends into the soup.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the potatoes break apart, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Discard the lemongrass stalks. P.
- uree the soup -- I use an immersion blender right in the pot, or you could do this in batches in the food processor or blender.
- Strain the soup through a fine sieve (I didn't even bother with this step).
- Stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Oh... this is DELICIOUS! I pretty much followed the recipe and it turned out great but wish I had used just a tiny bit less water. I'm a big fan of lemongrass, ginger and sweet potatoes so to have those blend together, it's just the perfect recipe for me and my family! Thank you so much for sharing it.Reply
see 3 more