Lemon Verbena Bread
- Ready In:
1 large loaf
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon verbena leaf, chopped
- 1 sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon verbena leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- For the bread cream butter with verbena leaves in a mixer or food processor.
- Add sugar,eggs and milk and beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse a few times until blended.
- Grease loaf pans (1 large,2 small or 4 mini) and pour in batter.
- Bake at 350º for 30-45 minutes, depending on pan size, or until toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
- Leave loaf in pan and pour glaze over loaf while still hot.
- Let sit several hours.
- Remove loaf from pan.
- Wrap in foil to ripen overnight if you like, or serve when cool.
- You can also freeze this bread for later use.
- GLAZE: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp fresh lemon verbena leaves,finely chopped, with the juice of one lemon.
Join The Conversation
Let me the first one to give this a 5 star rating....I am sure there will be many more, for those of you that have fresh lemon verbena available to you. This bread is just so lemony and fresh tasting. It will be one of those recipes that I never want to lose site of....a keeper for sure! Thanks for sharing! ;-)