Lemon Meringue Pie (9-Inch)
photo by Lynn in MA
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
1 9-inch pie
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten (save whites for meringue)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, if desired
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Bake pie shell.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Gradually stir at least half the hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Blend into hot mixture in pan.
- Boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel, lemon juice and food color.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Heap meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until a delicate light brown.
- Cool away from draft.
- For Meringue: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy (peaks will form).
- DO NOT UNDERBEAT.
- Beat in vanilla.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, but don't have a lot of time to do it, since I work full time. I like to try a new recipe every Saturday, if time allows. <br> <br>I have one grown son and three grandaughters ages 16,10 and 3. The ten year old has won many medals in gymnastics meets over the past few years.