Holiday Ham Leftover Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb cooked ham, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Peel potatoes & slice very thinly.
- Pat dry with paper towels & set aside.
- Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan.
- Remove from heat & whisk in flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk & seasonings, return to heat and stir constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the wine.
- Set aside.
- Assemble in layers in the bottom of a lightly greased ovenproof casserole dish- 1/2 of the ham, 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the sauce and 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover & bake in a preheated 350°F oven for an hour.
- Remove cover & continue baking for another 15 minutes.
Join The Conversation
I made this for dinner and I must say it was delissh. It definitely needs more liquid so I added 1 cup of chicken stock to the sauce upon other recommendations. I am not a big fan of onions so I sauteed them in the butter of the sauce before adding the flour (personal choice). I cooked it in a 9x13 glassbaking dish. Thank You Countrylady for sharing your recipe it is a Keeper! :-)
Just came across this made with leftover Christmas ham some left over heavy whipping cream & Colby jack cheese it was YUMMY!!! Saved to my favorites! Was afraid the honey ham would be to sweet but the white wine sauce balanced it out considering using the white wine sauce next time I make scalloped potatoes!!! Soooooo good thank you!!