Ham & Broccoli Casserole
photo by Parsley
- Ready In:
- 4 cups cut up broccoli (or you can use cauliflower)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook broccoli until tender, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F Grease 2 qt baking dish In a medium saucepan melt butter Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Whisk in milk Cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Lower heat slightly.
- Stir in cheese and sour cream, until cheese is melted.
- Mix ham and cooked vegetables together and spread into baking dish Pour sauce over this Combine bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Chose this recipe to use up leftover ham because there were no noodles or potatoes in it. DH is watching his carb intake for the new year. Didn't have any American cheese, so I used gruyere. It made a tasty, thick sauce, but I thinned it a little too much. Used fresh mushrooms that I sauteed first. Didn't have quite 4 cups of broccoli, so I made up the difference with cauliflower. DH said he'd like to have this casserole again. Thanks!
Great casserole! The sauce is nice and thick. I doubled the recipe and used half broccoli and half cauliflower flowerets(per idea in the ingredient list). I used the optional mushrooms; I recommend using them. I added some onion to the butter while making the roux. It was terrific and quite a kid-pleaser! I served it with egg noodles on the side. I'll make this again. Thanx for a new way of using leftover ham.