Latino Salmon, Corn and Black Bean Chili
- Ready In:
- 15 ounces canned salmon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 ounces mild green chilies, chopped
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 14 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 lime, divided
- 4 tablespoons fat free sour cream, divided
- Loosely chunk salmon.
- Heat olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced green chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes and chicken broth. Simmer.
- In a small bowl combine corn meal, cumin, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add to chili mixture. simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slice the lime in half crosswise. cut one half into 4 wedges and reserve for garnish. Squeeze remaining half into the chili.
- Add salmon and half of the chopped cilantro to chili. Stir chili gently to combine. Cook until heated through.
- Serve chili with remaining cilantro, lime and sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a psychotherapist who decided to start cooking creatively after years of resistance. I cook primarily vegetarian but cook with other ingredients when my family complains too much. I'm the mother of 3 sons, two of whom are grown, and I've been married since 1978. I cringe when I think back on the cooking my poor husband valliantly endured when we were first married. I collect cookbooks and frequent the thrift shops in my area for unusual finds. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">