photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 8 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms
- fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 1 (796 ml) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb ground lamb
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- Place mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery and sauté until they start to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ground lamb and cook until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cinnamon, nutmeg and Italian herbs. Stir until well combined.
- Add tomatoes to the pan, breaking them up with a spatula. Add red wine and stir until well combined. Add bay leaf. Lower heat to low, place lid on pot and simmer 2 hours. Stir occasionally to ensure bottom does not burn.
- Remove lid and taste sauce; season with salt and pepper as needed. Continue to simmer on low with the lid removed; sauce will begin to thicken.
- Meanwhile prepare spaghetti as per package directions. Serve the sauce over the pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!