Kona Coconut Stir Fry
- Ready In:
- 1 -2 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, squeezed and cubed
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne sticks about 2 inches long
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into thick julienne sticks about 2 inches long
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced thick
- 1 cup coconut (1 cup shredded fresh or dried coconut)
- 1 1 ounce mangoes or 1 ounce papaya, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (mushroom) or 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- Make brown rice.
- Heat oil in large, deep skillet.
- Add tofu cubes and vegetables and sauté over high heat until veggies are
- softened, about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water if necessary to keep veggies from drying out.
- Turn heat down and add coconut, apple, soy sauce and Tabasco.
- Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve over brown rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
The Vegetarian Network of Austin (VNA) is a local, active group of vegetarians and vegans in Austin, Texas. We are open to anyone interested in a vegetarian lifestyle. Our organization meets regularly for food, fun, support and to exchange information and ideas. We host monthly vegan potlucks and patronize local vegetarian-friendly restaurants. We also meet for social gatherings and public outreach. We periodically advertise and promote special events such as the Lone Star Vegetarian Chili Cook-Off and sponsor special guest speakers. The 21st Annual Lone Star Vegetarian Chili Cook-Off is on Sunday November 15, 2009 from 11:30 am to 4:00 pm at the Travis County Farmers Market (formerly the Historic Austin Farmers Market), 6701 Burnet Road, in Austin, Texas. Chili Teams from all over Texas will delight you with an amazing array of delicious, healthy, meatless chilis as they compete for best chili and best booth! Door Prizes - Live Entertainment - Educational Booths and Exhibits $7 Adults (13 and up), $3 Children 6-12 years (5- are free!) (CASH ONLY AT THE GATE) Produced by the Lone Star Vegetarian Network: Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso ------------------------------------------------------- We're looking for chili teams, volunteers, door prizes, celebrity vegetarians and, of course, attendees! See www.veggiechilicookoff.com for more information. This cookbook is a place for us to keep our recipes printed in our bi-monthly newsletters, popular dishes from our monthly potluck dinners, and also recipes from Recipezaar chefs that our members recommend. To submit a recipe or a Recipezaar recommendation, e-mail it to our newsletter editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> Pick A Chef is a chance to discover new chefs, recipes, and “get to know” other chefs on Zaar. Recipezaar chefs agree to make & review 3 of his/her picked chefs' recipes by the event deadline. They make the recipes & submit their reviews any time before the deadline. There are a few rules on how the selections work, but PAC is a very easy game to play. See the Recipezaar Community for more information. Acadia adopted us and made/reviewed: Asian Noodles and Broccoli Vegan Cornbread Grilled Portabella Burger With Basil Mayonnaise Thank you, Acadia!