Kim's Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 chicken, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- 1 (8 ounce) can black beans (salt free)
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken, corn and beans.
- Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top servings with crushed chips.
- Freeze option: Before adding chips, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!