Kerrieschotel (meat and rice dish flavored with curry)
This is a family favorite Dutch recipe. Mom made this when we were growing up. The common curry powder found in the grocery is fine for this recipe. If you are looking for the authentic taste, or are a spice connoiseur, you would look for Indonesian curry powder or Sate seasoning. I find it on-line.
- Ready In:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (or broth for lower fat)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- aroma seasoning (like Maggi or Kitchen Bouquet)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chopped left over cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw long grain rice, cooked with
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- corn flake crumbs, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for topping (or use broth for lower fat)
- Saute onion in butter with curry powder until tender.
- Add broth and aroma seasoning.
- Stir in left over chicken meat and simmer until meat is hot.
- Meanwhile cook rice.
- Place meat mixture and rice in casserole dish.
- Stir to combine and top with crumb mixture.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes at 325 until brown and bubbly.