Kapisi Pulu (Cabbage & Beef Brisket in Coconut Cream)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 8 -10 large cabbage leaves
- 1 lb corned beef or 1 lb beef brisket
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- thick coconut cream
- Place about 6 cabbage leaves on foil to make a cup shape. (It would help to put all these in a round cake tin). Into the cup-shaped cabbage leaves, put the corned beef, onion, tomato, some shredded cabbage and coconut cream.
- Wrap the foil around and bake in a moderate oven for about 1 to 1 and half hours. (This is normally baked in the 'umu).
- Serving suggestions: kumala (sweet potato) goes well with this dish.
- NOTE: This is similar to the "lu pulu". Here, cabbage is used instead of the taro leaves and then the procedure is the same for both. In fact, this dish can utilise any large leafy vegetable, hence spinach is an excellent substitute. Where fresh coconut cream is scarce and expensive, fresh thickened cream is a successful substitute mixed with coconut cream in a tin. Coconut cream now comes in powdered packages so you can mix to your preferred creaminess.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Librarian, yogi, chef to my tribe