1. (SOUP) In a large soup kettle, saute potatoes in oil for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Add stock, bacon and beans and cook until tender.
2. (ROUE) In a separate saucepan, melt the butter or margarine and saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the flour and cook for three minutes longer. With a whisk, stir in the milk and keep whisking until the mixture is thickened. Set aside.
3. (DUMPLINGS) While the soup is simmering, prepare the dumplings. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate saucepan, bring butter and milk to a simmer. Add the milk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Stire with a fork or kneed by hand 2-3 times until the mixture must comes together. Divide the dough into about 16 small puffy dumplings. Roll each piece of dough into a small rough ball. Set dumplings aside.
4. Whisk the cream/onion/garlic mixture into the soup. Add milk or cream as needed to adjust the consistency.
5. Gently lay the formed dumplings on the surface of the soup. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. The dumplings will float to the top when they are done.