Jennie's Green Bean Casserole
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 12 ounces diced ham
- 6 ounces finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F Cut green beans to to desired serving size.
- Boil green beans until cooked to desired softness.
- In a skillet, melt butter & add onions, cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms & cook for 5 minutes, then add ham & cook until just browned.
- Add soup, milk, cayenne pepper, & green beans to the skillet & mix all together to coat well.
- Grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish & add mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven & add crispy onion topping, then bake for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful change from the normal green bean casserole. I liked the addition of the cheese, as well as the sauted onions and fresh mushrooms. I cheated as it was just me eating this today, so I just cooked it all in fry pan that I could then put in the oven. Thanks for another great recipe Mama Jennie.
This one was a winner with us! DH and I both love green bean casserole, but this has got to be the best we've ever had! It is all the better than the traditional kind, from using the ham, cheese, and fresh mushrooms and onions! This is the only way I'll ever make green bean casserole from now on!! DH has raved and raved!!