Matchstick Potato Casserole
A sinfully good potato dish!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 15 anchovy fillets (soaked in milk to reduce their saltiness if you like)
- 90 g butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 potatoes, cut into matchsticks
- 500 ml cream (you could use a light cream if it made you feel better!)
- Melt half the butter in a pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes, or'til golden.
- Chop the remaining butter into small cubes.
- Spread half the potato over the base of a shallow oven-proof dish.
- Top with the anchovies and onion then the remaining potatoes.
- Pour half the cream over and then scatter with the butter cubes.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a hot oven until golden.
- Pour over the remaining cream and cook another 40 minutes or until the potato is tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I'm sorry to give this recepie only 2 stars but we didn't like it. I cooked it as directed, using the same ingredients. It came out looking just exactly like on photo, but the taste and smell was a bit too much for us. I have to mention that we are a seafood lovers and like anything with fish but we did not like this. I finally realized what people mean when they say "it smells fishy ". Will not make it again. Sorry for the bad review.Reply
Jan this was excellent!! I am so not a fishy person but I don't mind the salty taste of anchovies. I cut up the anchovies and added them to the onions so that I couldn't see them when the recipe was cooked...lol. I used full fat cream, what the heck, I didn't want to spoil the taste. Served with Steak in Garlic Wine Sauce #126068 and Zucchini Mexicali #91864. A perfect meal!!Reply
see 6 more