The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
photo by Laura G.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
8 large helpings
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed (see note at bottom of recipe)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- Combine all ingredients except ingredients for topping and pour into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Make the topping: combine all ingredients until everything is mixed well.
- Sprinkle topping over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. (Topping should be set and sort of melted into the sweet potatoes to form a crispy but flat top.).
- *NOTE: To cook the sweet potatoes, fill a large pot with water and put the sweet potatoes in; turn on stove to HIGH. Once the water comes to a boil, turn down heat and let boil with lid on for 30-35 minutes or until tender when pricked with a fork. Once they cool a little it should be easy to peel them.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love baking best of all, especially breads and cookies, and I'm always looking for new bread recipes to try. I also enjoy recipes using fresh fruits that are refreshing and not overly sugary. I am very sporty and active so I like foods that give you a lot of energy with good nutrition too.