Italian Sausage & Roasted Pepper Sandwiches
Great sandwiches for game day!
- Ready In:
- 4 Italian sausages (mild or hot)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces jarred roasted red peppers (more or less to your taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 4 French rolls or 4 hot dog buns
- Cook sausages in large frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add oil, onion, garlic and peppers to pan drippings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon.
- Stir in basil, sugar, salt and black ground pepper.
- Add sausages, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, increase heat to medium high and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place sausages and pepper and tomato mixture in bun and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We loved this but I had to cut the sugar, salt and pepper down. I used 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt and about 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. The only other change I made was to roast the sausages (cut up) with the fresh red peppers, onions and garlic all in the oven together at 425 for about 40 minutes - till tender. It saved me time. I made up the tomatoes on the stovetop and added them to the roasted sausage mix when I pulled it from the oven. Absolutely delicious. Thank you.Reply