Lemon Pepper Bacon Chicken Sandwich - Pioneer Woman
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 oz each)
- lemon pepper seasoning
- 8 slices pepper bacon
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 4 sandwich buns
- mayonnaise (or dressing of your choice)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- 4 lettuce leaves (optional)
- sliced onion (optional)
- On a cutting board, pound the chicken breasts briefly with a mallet to flatten the thick parts so they'll cook more evenly.
- Cut each strip of bacon in half. Arrange strips in a large (12") skillet and cook over medium heat until it reaches your desired crispness. Remove cooked bacon from skillet and put on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Pour off all but approximately 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. (you can pour it all off and then add back 1 TB - you decide!).
- Heat skillet again, over medium-low to medium heat.
- Liberally sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with lemon pepper. When the skillet is hot, place all 4 chicken breasts in it. Cook approximately 4 minutes on one side.
- Flip the chicken breasts over. Arrange the bacon slices on top. Then place sliced cheese on top of the bacon.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about another 4 minutes. The cheese should be well-melted. To test doneness, poke the fattest part of a breast with a sharp knife - you shouldn't see any pink meat left in the middle.
- Dress your bun with mayonnaise, a dijon/mayonnaise combo, or ranch dressing.
- Put chicken on bun. It tastes great without veggies, but you can also add leafy lettuce, sliced tomato, and sliced onion.
see 12 more reviews