Italian Sausage And Pepper Heroes
photo by ColoradoCooking
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs sweet Italian sausage links (16 links) or 4 lbs hot Italian sausage links (16 links)
- 4 red bell peppers, stemmed,seeded and sliced into 1/4" strips
- 4 green bell peppers, stemmed,seeded and sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ground black pepper
- 16 hoagie rolls, sliced lengthwise,toasted,if desired
- Grill sausages over hot coals, turning occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes total.
- Remove from grill and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, sauté peppers in the olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Pepper mixture can be made ahead; reheat to serve or serve at room temperature.
- Place sausage links in hero rolls, generously add sautéed pepper mixture to each sandwich.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really loved this bit of "fun in the sun" sausage & pepper hero. In Maryland, we have *Pollack Johnnies* that is so similar to this, toting a stall in Lexington Market. Not able to get there very much anymore, I was excited to find this recipe and it is really terrific. I followed this exactly, except only using all green peppers instead of the red/green as this is what I had in the summer garden. I had some fresh Italian hot sausage links, poked a couple of holes in the casing and browned away, (after first boiling it for 10 minutes) with the vegetables. A great meal, as previous reviewers have said. Thank you! June 2009