Irish Tea Cake with Glaze
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temp-not margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 3⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried currant
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place currants and 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl and mix well to cover currants. Set aside.
- Grease and dust a 9 inch loaf pan and cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom, line and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl on medium speed cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Blend in eggs, then blend in cream cheese.
- Mix or sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add a small amount of flour into butter mixture and blend well, then a small amount of buttermilk, then flour and repeat until both are well incorporated.
- Stir in the currants and remaining flour, mix well and spoon into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and let stand in the pan for 10 minutes.
- The top will crack.
- Free up sides with a knife and invert onto a cooling rack.
- While still warm but not hot glaze cake and allow glaze to drip down sides.
- Cool to room temp and serve.
- Irish Whiskey laced whipped cream would be a nice touch.
- For the glaze just whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this as part of a thank-you dinner for a friend who's been helping me out a lot lately. She, her husband, and her daughter all called to rave about this cake. I made it exactly to recipe and found that it was very simple and quick to make. I didn't have to bake it for quite as long as called for; just about an hour. Thanks so much for sharing a keeper!