Indian Spiced Shrimp
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece ginger (about the thickness of a thumb, peeled and minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 shallots (slivered)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp (shelled and cleaned)
- lemons or lime wedge
- cilantro leaf
- flat bread (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- Marinate shrimp in 1 1/2 T olive oil, curry powder, cumin, minced ginger, minced garlic, cayenne, and salt for 1/2 hour.
- Saute shallots in oil, in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp mixture and cook until shrimp are just cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with lemon or lime wedges and flat bread, or over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This Indian-spiced shrimp is wonderful and so easy to put together. Wish I had made a double-batch. : ) I am so thankful that I have access to plenty of fresh wild-caught shrimp where I live as I will be making this dish often. Served this dish with http://www.food.com/recipe/dal-nirvana-naan-493936 and a green salad. Made for the Best of 2014 tag game.