Hot Chilli & Lemon Paste
- Ready In:
3-4 Medium jars
- Wash chillies and remove stalks (Note: Use rubber gloves).
- Cut chillies in half lengthways.
- Wash and cut lemons into quarters.
- Crush garlic and finely chop ginger.
- Put all above ingredients into food processor and blend in batches until paste consistency is as desired, adding small amounts of oil if dry.
- In a heavy based pan cover bottom with oil and heat to medium high, when a small amount of paste is dropped into the oil it should sizzle.
- (Note: only cook chilli in well ventilated area as fumes are strong).
- Add paste to hot oil, add salt and stir constantly.
- As soon as paste turns from red to orange (about 3 - 4 mins) remove from heat, stir and allow to cool.
- Once cool put into sterilised jars and top with oil so that there is a thin layer of oil on top of paste and refrigerate.
- In cool weather this can be stored in a cupboard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!