Hot and Sour Fish Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Dtom Yam Gkoong. An authentic Thai dish from cooking instructer, Kasma Loha-unchit Clark, www.thaifoodandtravel.com
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water or 1 1/2 quarts mild soup stock, salted with
- fish sauce, to the desired saltiness
- 1 lb trout (pan fried)
- 4 -5 stalks fresh lemongrass (dta-krai)
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger (kha)
- 4 -6 kaffir lime leaves, torn (bai ma-gkrood)
- 15 -20 whole Thai chiles, stem removed and bruised with the back of a cleaver (prik kee noo)
- 1 small shallot, quartered and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 -3 tablespoons roasted chili paste (nahm prk pow)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, mixed with 1/2 cup of hot water, pulp removed (the tamarind is sold in blocks, use about 1 Tbs.)
- 2 cups fresh brown button mushrooms, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 small firm tomatoes, cut in small wedges (optional)
- 4 green onions, cut in thin rounds
- 2 -3 limes, juice of, to desired sourness
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup cilantro leaf
- Cut the bottom tip off the lemon grass stalks and discard the loose outer layer(s). Then cut the stalks an inch apart at a slanted angle all the way up to the greener end where the grass blades start, exposing the inner core.
- Smnash each piece with the side of a cleaver, or the end of a heavy handle to bruise, releasing the aromatic oils.
- Place the cut lemon grass along with the sliced ginger, kaffir lime leaves, and about 2 quarts of waqter in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer with a lid on for about 20-30 minutes to draw out flavors. Strain.
- Add the bruised whole Thai chillies (or substitute0 and a slicd onion. Simmer a couple of minutes.
- Add roasted chilli paste, tamarind jui9ce, and fresh brown mushrooms.
- Return to a boil and simmer a couple more minutes.
- Stir in the tomato wedges (if using), green onions and fish.
- After 15-30 seconds, turn off heat, add lime juce to the desired sourness and the cilantro. Serve immediately. Do not let the fish overcook.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION