Healthy Shrimp and Pasta Alfredo
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine or 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onions or 1/2 cup shallot, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, thawed (peeled and deveined)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grape tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- pepper (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- white pepper (optional)
- ground black pepper (optional)
- Begin boiling the water for the pasta.
- Melt butter in a large (about 10") skillet until sizzling.
- Add pasta to the water.
- Add onion, shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp turn pink (about 6-7 minutes).
- While the shrimp and pasta are cooking, put all ingredients for the alfredo sauce (except pepper) in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour contents of blender in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just starts to boil.
- Lower the alfredo sauce to low and stir frequently, adding pepper if desired.
- Strain the pasta if fully cooked and return to the saucepan.
- Add the shrimp mixture to the pasta, then pour the alfredo sauce on top. Mix well.
- If extra flavor is desired, feel free to add any of the cajun spices listed above.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was so delicious! I really enjoyed this dish. The instructions don't specify when to add the tomatoes, so I just tossed them in the pot at the end when tossing the pasta, shrimp and sauce together. I think it would have better if I had cooked them in the skillet with the onion, shrimp, bell pepper and seasonings though. But even so, it was a deslicious recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe, xpbowling. Made for Fall 2011 Pick-A-Chef.