Healthy - Black Devils Food Cake
This is a realty way to get your devils food cake and eat it too!
- Ready In:
- vegetable oil cooking spray, 20 sprays
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- flour, for dusting pan
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk or 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; shake off excess. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- In a small saucepan, bring coffee to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir gently into batter.
- Mixture will be soupy. Pour into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or let cool completely.
- Servings: 20.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is such a fantastic recipe. I've made this about a half dozen times already. It is moist, delicious, easy to make and extremely versatile. I've made a thin sheet cake using a jelly roll pan. I used a large biscuit cutter and made rounds to make beautiful individual cakes. I used fat free whipped cream for filling and as "icing" and made chocolate covered coffee beans for decoration. I'm making this for Father's Day and will drizzle with dark chocolate for an added touch. This cake is always a huge hit no matter what form it is presented.
This cake was delicious! I made it for my Mother's Birthday and it was a big hit. Very moist and flavorful. I added a tsp. of Vanilla to the recipe and used French Vanilla coffee. I would definitely make this cake again and recommend it to anyone looking for a delectable chocolate cake. Thanks for sharing!