Healthy Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (r)
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- I like to use the healthy choice or smart balance cheeses. Use Tabasco to taste of course--my husband likes it spicy!
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 9x13 or 3-quart baking dish with nonstick spray oil.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a food processor or blender, mix ricotta cheese, milk, egg substitute, mustard, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Process until smooth.
- Drain macaroni, return to pot and add shredded cheddar. Stir until cheese melts. Stir in ricotta mixture and scrape into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and paprika. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very nice - the Tabasco is a great touch! I didn't make this quite as healthy as the recipe calls for: I used real eggs and low fat cheeses (fat-free are not available so I went as low as I could!). The cheddar really wanted to become a lump instead of melting, but after a bit of chopping it was more or less evenly distributed! I also added some cooked chicken to the mixture - made for a lovely meal! Thank you for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
single mom, special education teacher, raising 2 teenage boys. Eat mostly low-fat, low calorie. Have cut out HFCS and saturated fats completely. We are looking and feeling so much better. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">