MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 green pepper, sliced paper thin in small strips
- 2 kirby cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1⁄3 - 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 onion, sliced paper thin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar or 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Shred or slice (and I do mean paper thin) all vegetables.
- Mix other ingredients and pour over the veggies.
- You can make as quickly as a half a day before serving, but it is best to make it so that it can sit overnight.
- Refrigerate immediately after mixing veggies and dressing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Much to my chagrin, I just stumbled across this recipe while looking for a Jewish cole slaw recipe. I am 48 years old and have been eating this salad since I was a little girl and my mother made it. I make it for cookouts and it's a huge hit -- always have to give the recipe! This one is a little different from mine- I sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds on before serving and I don't use oregano (although I might try that -- sounds good!). Otherwise, the recipes are almost identical. Wonder what other recipes my mother claimed as her own! LOL (I ALWAYS marinate at LEAST overnight.)
This is a favorite item of mine to order in NYC Jewish delis. So when I decided to make it at home for a BBQ, the first recipe I pulled off of the internet was right on the money. This is "kind of" like a good coleslaw but without the mayo and with a few items added. Use a 4-sided box grater to shred all of the veggies.