photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs pork butt
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- seasoning salt
- garlic powder
- Place meat in 3 qrt sauce pan, add water until meat is just covered.
- Smack garlic with a knife to release flavor add to pot along with onion, salt, oregano and cumin.
- Bring to boil, skim skum, reduce heat, cover simmer 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain meat, place in baking dish, sprinkle evenly with season salt and garlic powder.
- You have a few options here.
- You can either bake it whole, break into chunks (Dh prefers this) or shred thickly (I prefer) I usually do some chunks and shreds.
- Bake 30-45 minute You do not want it to get to crispy if you shredded it first. Watch carefully as you do not want it to dry out.
- While still warm shred with 2 forks if left whole.
- Serve with warm tortillas and pico de gallo.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Definitely 5 stars for taste and for ease of prep. I was so excited to find a delicious recipe like this one. DH could not stop talking about it and has already claimed the leftovers for himself. Will definitely make way more next time for leftovers. Also, I think next time when the pork goes in the oven to add some slices of onion to it for even more flavor.
This was amazing! I had picked out several recipes for carnitas to use up a 7 lb pork butt. I could not be happier that I tried this one first! Very easy; smelled delicious on the stove & was a snap to shred. We served it with lettuce, cheese, sour cream & salsa in flour tortillas. This will be a repeated recipe in my house. :) Thanks for sharing, Debilyn! Made for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a SAHM of 2 boys. <br>I am originally from So. Calif, but now live in a small town in SE Kansas and love it! Except for not being able to find products that I had available in Calif. <br> <br><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg>